Travel and concession cards

For free and confidential legal advice about this topic, please contact us here.

Navigate this page

Can I get free travel?

You can only travel for free on public transport in South Australia if you’re under 5!  If you’re reading this, chances are that’s not you.  

School students

If you are a full-time student at school, you can get discounted travel on a Yellow Student Metrocard or a Student Metroticket

  • If you’re under 15: discounted fares apply without a concession card
  • If you’re over 15: in High School, discounted fares apply, so long as you have a Secondary School Card on you at all times while you travel. You should inquire with your school about getting one.


University students

If you study full time at university or TAFE, you can also travel a discounted Green Student Metrocard or a Metroticket. This is available at the following tertiary institutions:

  • Smarts College
  • University of Adelaide
  • University of South Australia
  • Flinders University
  • Carnegie Mellon University Australia
  • Tabor College of Higher Education

You will need to carry your university ID card on you at all times when you travel in order to get concession fares.

What will happen if I travel with a concessional ticket without my valid student ID?

Without supplying a valid student ID, you could be fined $160 for using a concessional ticket.

What are rules about behaving on public transport?

When you’re travelling on public transport in South Australia, you have to follow certain rules that may include a $160 fines if not followed. This includes:

  • Keep your bags and bodies out of peoples’ ways
  • Defacing vehicles, equipment or any item in connection with public transport services
  • Behaving in a disorderly or offensive manner while on public transport
  • No smoking in vehicle
  • Consumption alcohol or carrying it in an open container
  • Littering in public transport

If you break any of these rules, you could be fined as much as $160.

If you have a question about travel and concession cards that we haven’t answered here please contact us here.

This page was last updated by Lauren Howe on 24th July, 2018


Got a question you can't get answered?

If you have a problem or a question, you can send it to us today and we can provide you with free advice, information and referrals to help solve your problem. Just click on the button below.

Get help now

Select Your State or Territory

The law is different in each state and territory. Please select your state or territory to view legal information that applies to you.