For free and confidential legal advice about this topic, please contact us here.

Navigate this page

Buying cigarettes

If you are under 18 Years old, it is against the law for anyone to sell cigarettes to you. This includes herbs and other things that are smoked, even if they do not contain tobacco. Anyone who sells cigarettes to someone under 18 can be heavily fined.

It is also against the law for someone over 18 to buy cigarettes for you.  Anyone who does can be fined.

Do I have to show ID?

If you’re buying cigarettes and you look like you might be under 18, the staff can ask you to provide Valid ID.  Valid ID includes:

  • a current drivers’ license; or
  • a valid proof of age card (including NSW Photo cards); or
  • a current passport

Most staff will always ask you to provide ID if you look younger than 25. You cannot be forced to show ID by staff, but if you don’t, they probably won’t sell you cigarettes.

It is against the law to use a fake ID to buy cigarettes. For more information see our Fake ID page.

Can police confiscate my cigarettes if I am under 18?

The police can confiscate your cigarettes, or other smoking products (even if they don’t contain tobacco) if they think you are under 18. You will be asked for ID first. Anything confiscated from you will not be returned.

The police may also ask you:

  • your name and address;
  • the name and address of a parent or guardian;
  • who gave you the cigarettes.

If you are 14 or older, refusing to answer or lying to the police is against the law.  You could be fined $100. The police can also tell your parents if you are found smoking, with cigarettes in your possession or trying to buy cigarettes while underage.

Where can I smoke?


It is against the law to smoke in enclosed public places in Western Australia. Enclosed public places are places that are open to the public, have a roof, and are mostly surrounded by walls (even if there are doors or open passageways). This includes places you have to pay to enter (like a theatre).

Some examples of places that are usually enclosed public places are:

  • Shopping centres, malls and plazas;
  • Restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and dining areas;
  • Pubs, clubs, nightclubs and bars (except designated smoking areas);
  • Schools, colleges and universities;
  • Community centres, halls and places of public worship;
  • Theatres, libraries, cinemas and galleries;
  • Public transport (buses, trains, trams, aeroplanes, taxis, hire cars, ferries);
  • Gyms, fitness centres, bowling alleys and other sporting and recreational facilities;
  • Hospitals.
  • Professional, trade, commercial and other business premises;
  • Hostels, motels and hotels (other than residential accommodation);
  • Childcare facilities
  • In or near Outdoor Restaurants, cafes or dining areas
  • In cars if there is a child younger than 17 year old in the car


It is also against the law to smoke outside:

  • On a beach between the flags;
  • Near where food or drink is served;
  • Within 10 m of playground equipment.


If you are caught smoking in a smoke-free place you can:

  • be given a warning or caution; or
  • fined $300 on the spot by the police; or
  • choose to have the matter decided by a court (which may fine you up to $2,000 if convicted).

It is up to the police whether to give you a warning or fine you, but you can always choose to go to court instead.

Can I smoke in a car?

You cannot smoke in a car if there is someone younger than 17 in the car.  If you are caught, you can be:

  • be given a warning or caution; or
  • be fined $200 on the spot by the police; or
  • choose to have the matter decided by a court (which may fine you up to $1,000 if convicted).

Additional information

If you would like more information, you may like to visit:

Alternatively, if you would like more detailed advice or have a specific problem, you can get help here.

Got a question you can't get answered?

If you have a problem or a question, you can send it to us today and we can provide you with free advice, information and referrals to help solve your problem. Just click on the button below.

Get help now

Select Your State or Territory

The law is different in each state and territory. Please select your state or territory to view legal information that applies to you.