If you admit to something that is not very  serious and the police officer feels that no other formal action is required, you can get an a warning (sometimes known as an information caution).  If you get an informal caution, the police can’t later take action against you for the same crime. The informal caution you receive will not go on your record.

However, the police will send a ‘Notice to Guardian of Informal Police Caution’ to your parents or guardian.

For free and confidential legal advice about this topic, please contact us here.


Got a question you can't get answered?

If you have a problem or a question, you can send it to us today and we can provide you with free advice, information and referrals to help solve your problem. Just click on the button below.

Get help now

Select Your State or Territory

The law is different in each state and territory. Please select your state or territory to view legal information that applies to you.